Thursday, September 17, 2009

American Icon




La Noche de Tlatelolco


The night of Tlatelolco is considered, to anyone who knows of this day, a heartsick day in the history of Mexico. It is a day to mourn the lives lost on that night. Yet I see this rainy night as a representation of bravery, unity and compassion within students and workers from all social classes. As rhetorical as it may seem, this event involves a bit of ignorance from the students. They failed to recognize, or admit that their own government could take such violent acts, against student movements. For it is the police forces’ job, to protect and defend the people, not exterminate them.

 

The massacre of Tlatelolco should not be consider as a symbol that should be thrown around, but should be appreciated as an example of a struggle to obtain human rights. It gives an understanding that students are capable of creating a peaceful revolution, while questioning the unexplained rules, and restrictions our government has placed on us. I don’t want to use a well-known cliché, “Question Authority,” but if this quote were to be explained, it would involve the 5,000 students who protested that night and the hundreds of them who died defending their education, as evidence that indeed this quote should be followed.

 

My final product, in this case my image, represents the most gentle side of this movement. The grotesque side would consist of a disgusting image that I rather not share. I do want to say that this event has helped me focus more on my education, it has taught me to appreciate and take advantage of it while I can. I am saddened to see kids waste their education, when students from Tlatelolco gave their lives for it.

 

I can say that I have always been rebellious deep inside; I can stand up and defend my own rights even when the world turns their back on me. I’ve learn about the importance of education, from my sister, who I had the pleasure to protest with in order to bring more AP courses to her high school in San Diego. I will never forget gathering with high school students at the Board of Education, making our posters, and holding the flags of our victorious icons. The long walk from point a to point b, singing the chants, “Libros Si– Bayonetas No!” “Books Yes- Bayonets No!” the same words that came from students 40 years ago, were now coming out of our mouths, demanding more education, in our schools. I will continue doing activist work around my community and schools in order to establish a bond between students and education, because this bond should always be present. My admiration will not turn into an obsession, but rather a simple gratification for the new perspective of rebellious education.




    Work Cited 

    Poniatowska, Elena. La noche de Tlatelolco. México, D.F: Era, 1971 

    “La noche de Tlatelolco.” La Jornada en Internet. 14 Sep. 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment