Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Blog #6 American Icons Resources

At this point I have no idea if I've been breaking a main rule in writing. Every time I write, I write all my thoughts down, without thinking about the reader. I focus on what I want to get down on paper, and the things that are most important to me without realizing that my thoughts might not spark a connection with the reader. After a few drafts, I do try to make a connection or common ground with the reader.

Then, Randy comes along and he gives a whole speech on how writers, are supposed to think about the reader at all times while writing. Throughout this project, I had reader in mind. Therefore I didn’t want to make my writing seem a boring informative essay, and I didn’t want to leave the reader wondering what they had just read. I used one tip for writing, which is "Create a relationship with the reader."

When I received my first draft revised, I noticed that the reader, my teammate, had understood the main idea, which was the students defending their, while finding the writing interesting, not boring as I suspected.

Without a doubt, I would include more quotes into my writing. When I say more, I mean actually include quotes that can describe the event, a little better. The only quote that supported my ideas was the one that described their chants. I also didn’t include

"The long walk from point A to point B, singing the chants, “Libros Si– Bayonetas No!” “Books Yes- Bayonets No!” the same words that came from students 40 years ago, were now coming out of our mouths, demanding more education, in our schools."

Not that I think this is a well written sentence, but I have to say this is one quote explains the activism that is happening in our communities. The actions students take to inform their own Board of Education, the lack of AP classes, college courses and literature in schools. Just by reading it, I start having flashbacks of all the protest and marches I've attended, and the importance of having them. If this sentence is not interesting, then it is a waste of time reading my artist statement.



No comments:

Post a Comment