Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Photo Essay

 “All you have to do is make sure they practice, the eight graders will help them.” Ms. Luna. “They are having some trouble learning their concert songs and this will hopefully help. There is one cello, two violas and three violins. It won’t be too hard.” Mr. Duncan explained when he saw my worried expression. I am stuck with twelve students and they expect me not to worry.

They ran inside the room, threw their violins in the corner and sat down in the couches. The eight graders were right behind them, “They are going to be tough,” I said trying to stay calm. “Pick up your instruments and sit up straight,” I said with a strong voice, but the seventh graders looked at me with a puzzled face. One student in particular, his name was Alejandro; he looked at me with a daring look.



“Kimbuley, get out your viola,” Mayra said with a subtle voice. I stood behind them to make sure they are playing the correct notes. Kimbuley, another rebellious seventh grader, was a hassle; she will never obey instructions the first time. Yet it’s a matter of giving her some time to adjust to your company. “Why are you here, you don’t even play the viola,” Kim aggressively said when she saw me behind her. “It’s actually easy to play any instrument; you just need to read the music.” I told her coming around her. “Oh yeah, show me.” I didn’t react at first, then Mayra gave me her viola, I was confident because I had previously played the viola. After I demonstrated Kim my viola skills, she sat down next to me and we started playing together.



Iveth, an eight grader, knows how to handle difficult situations. Even though Alejandro was not cooperating, she never gave up on him. “Alejandro, come back and sit down!” she roared at him when he got up. He sat down, grabbed the violin and started playing. It was horrible; he played the wrong notes and bowed too hard on the strings. But slowly, Iveth helped him develop his skills. Within the first week he learned a two-minute s ong, but he had five more to go.


“There are only a few days left until they play at the Spreckels Organ Pavilion, and these students are not ready.” Mr. Duncan said walking around the room. The students were working hard; I had never seen them so focused on their playing. They were finally in sync and their rhythm was flawless.


On the day of the concert they were calm. They followed directions and stayed quiet while Ms. Luna made her opening speech. You couldn’t tell they were nervous until they were called. Slowly the students got up and walked towards the stage, they walked with their heads down. They got their bows and waited for Mr. Duncan’s signal. When the first violin started bowing, the numbed sound echoed trough the Pavilion.  

No comments:

Post a Comment