Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Literary Reflections...

If you could bring one character from any one book that we have read this year with you when you go to college, who would bring? Why?

If I were to take a character from the books we have read, I would take Jay Gatsby. It would look somewhat like this.

Gatsby has been lonely all his life. After Daisy left him for Tom, Gatsby became even more confused. Taking into consideration that the day George came to look for Myrtle's murderer, I would have taken Gatsby out for lunch and then I would have convinced him to go to college with me. I would use his contacts like Mr. Wolfshiem to get myself into a great college. I would perhaps attend Brown, Tufts or Yale. I would convince him that college would get his mind of Daisy and he would met new girls. Then every weekend he would throw parties in our dorm, I of course would be just as popular as him because I would be his best friend.

In the novel The Great Gatsby, almost everyone takes advantage or uses another person for their own benefit. Myrtle and Tom used each other, Daisy used Gatsby and Gatsby used his money. To continue with F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel, I would use Gatsby to have my way around college. I would be the nerdy girl in class, but I would also be the life of the party.

Jay Gatsby is very shy and he is socially inadequate. He is never enjoying his party, therefor I would be the host of his amazing party. I know that this sounds very selfish, but it's college, also known as hell, and i have to find a way to survive for four years.

Thinking about this, it doesn't sound so bad. He can pay my four years of college, we can have so much fun on the weekends. If it is necessary he can pay a professor to help me pass my classes or finals. Gatsby life might not improve because he would still be in love with Daisy but he will make me happy, he is a crowd pleaser and he will always try to make me happy.

1 comment:

  1. Things I like:
    -refers specifically to novel, ex: "myrtle and tom used each other...
    -somewhat humorous, ex: "every weekend he would throw parties in our dorm"

    Things to improve on:
    -clarify this part: "i have to find a way to survive for four years"
    survive socially, financially, or academically?

    ReplyDelete