Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Writing Reflection

Please answer both of the following with substantial, thorough, thoughtful, well-revised, multi-paragraph pieces of writing that feature direct evidence, specific examples, and a high degree of honest self-reflection.


* Explain one or more specific aspects of your writing that have improved this year. In this explanation, you must directly refer to at least two specific pieces of writing that you produced for this class. You may use any assignment, project, writing sample, draft, blog entry, etc. You should discuss the writing tips & strategies we studied, the processes & methods we used, the critiques & drafts we employed and the products we created (feel free to use these specific key terms to keep your reflection focused).

In my final reflection last year I wrote to Lori Fisher, my former Humanities teacher, that my main goal for junior year was to improve my writing in Randy’s class. Every Friday, in advisory I would see the type of work Randy’s students were doing. I knew that if I had Randy as my Humanities teacher, I would improve as a learner. My writing isn't perfect; I know that for a fact. It has improved through my years at HTHMA. The drastic improvement has happened this year. I compare my writing and I realize that I have accomplished that goal.

In the beginning of the year, Media Saves the Beach was the first main project centered on writing. I thought my writing piece was going to be a decent one because it was much like a research paper and that is my forte. It turned it be a disappointing article. I didn’t direct my point to the audience, it didn’t convey the feeling I was hoping for, awareness. Then I came around, focusing on writing tips, the podcast we would listen to during class. In any new assignment, blog or essay I would incorporate new writing tips. This was a small progress that happened almost every week. Finally the biggest project arrived, Ampersand. I was unprepared, I had been focus on my teammate’s writings and I hadn’t worked on mine. Randy came with a clear goal and I was confused as to why my writing was not turning out the way I planned.

In the beginning of the year, Randy told us that in the real writing world, “professional writers write for an audience, amateur writers write for themselves.” I couldn’t believe how important this line was, it engraved in my mind. So when I picked up my notebook to brainstorm on topics for the Ampersand article, I made sure all my ideas had a specific audience.

They Say Cut Back. We Say Fight Back!, a phrase chanted by students on the March 4th rally, became the title because it concluded the article’s point. I tied the rally with military recruitment in public schools because it was highly important for my audience to have the complete picture of U.S education system. I couldn’t deliver my point without including struggles between students and school officials, it’s impossible to acknowledge a problem without evidence, especially when the issue of this importance is occurring in your town. It is not the brightest article, I worked only three drafts, but I am satisfied. I was able to convey the importance and an upright.

 
* Describe one specific goal for your future writing. Your explanation of your goal(s) must include some or all of the following: writing samples from this year, writing strategies you have used in the past, writing strategies or techniques you would like to develop, examples from authors you respect, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment