Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Historical Reflections

There is only one person I would like to see in my college campus. That is Kurt Vonnegut. If he isn't a genius, I don't know what is. He knows a lot about life, he has lived a plentiful life with experiences such as the Firebombing of Dresden.I would be a far better person if Kurt Vonnegut would be my mentor, a guardian in my life. 

Kurt Vonnegut is very ironic, especially in his writing. In Slaughterhouse Five he presents the reader with many perspectives of life. You don't know what he is trying to tell you exactly. He does his best to get the reader to acknowledge the moments that make life wonderful by ending the book in an abrupt overturn. His input in the last chapter, "If what Billy Pilgrim learned from the Tralfamadorians is true, that we will all live forever, no matter how dead we may sometimes seem to be, I am not overjoyed. Still--if I am going to spend eternity visiting this moment and that, I'm grateful that so many of those moments are nice.” This line stayed with me throughout the book and even now, it is the quote I most remember. I evidently had an epiphany afterwards; I became more interested in living the moment rather than structuring time. Because it is with the memories that we preserve ourselves and if by the end of your life, you have nothing good to remember. That is a life wasted.


No comments:

Post a Comment